Sunday, August 25, 2013

We Accept The Love We Think We Deserve

Charlie: Why do nice people choose the wrong people to date?
Bill:  Are we talking about anyone specific?
(Charlie nods)
Bill:  We accept the love we think we deserve.
Charlie: Can we make them know they deserve more?
Bill: We can try.
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Never settle for anything less than what you are.  You know your standards.  Sometimes we may think that we don't deserve someones love.  We feel as though we aren't worthy of it. 


"The feeling of being accepted by someone we love is a basic human need.  Being accepted by good people motivates us.  It increases our sense of self-worth and self-confidence.  Those who cannot find acceptance from desirable sources often seek it elsewhere.  They may look to people who are not interested in their well-being.  They may attach themselves to false friends and do questionable things to try to receive the acknowledgement they are seeking...."


It is good to feel accepted by others.  This is something that I've noticed lately about myself.  It makes me happy to know that I am loved and accepted, but I've noticed that I feel hurt if I do not feel accepted or loved. I can do something for someone that I think was plainly out of love and feel like they don't realize it or thank me for what I did for them.  I wanted to be appreciated for what I have done.  I wanted to be loved back.  Then I saw this quote that changed my perspective.

"Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time.  I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?  We know the Lord has laid high responsibility upon us, and there is not a wish or desire that the Lord has implanted in our hearts in righteousness but will be realized, and the greatest good we can do to ourselves and each other is to refine and cultivate ourselves in everything that is good and ennobling to qualify us for those responsibilities." -Eliza R. Snow
What matters?  I need to stop acting like a baby and want to feel loved all the time.  I don't need to be worried about what others think of me.  I don't need to be appreciated for what I've done.  Heavenly Father knows what I've done.  He knows what I have done for others, and he appreciates me for it.  He accepts me.  He loves me.
Now back to The Perks of Being a Wallflower quote.  "We accept the love we think we deserve."  How do you think Christ feels.  He is offering His love to us.  He loves us no matter what we've done.  The thing is, do we accept His love? You may think that you don't deserve His love...and you are right. Does anyone really deserve Christ's love?  How can a perfect being offer so much love for an imperfect being like ourselves?  We don't deserve His love.  But, we can accept His love.  His love is pure and perfect.


"Love means that you accept a person with all their failures, stupidities, ugly points, and nonetheless, you see perfection in imperfection itself."

This is the wonderful power of the atonement.  We may not be worthy of what Christ did for us.  But we need to allow the atonement in our lives.  We need to realize that we are imperfect, but it doesn't matter.  Christ paid our debt.  He paid it in full.  His grace is sufficient for all of us.  How wonderful is it that Christ did that for us? Once you learn that you don't need to feel accepted by others to feel appreciated, and to just accept God's love (not because you deserve it, but plainly because He loves you) your life will be changed.  When we love others it is because it is a pure love.  It happens when we see perfection in imperfection.  Love is the most powerful thing in the world.  It is the reason why we are here.  If nothing else matters, remember that God loves you!  God's love is there for you.  He's trying to just give you all His love.  Accept it.  Let the power of the atonement change your life.  It has changed mine.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Rachel! I really needed to read the things you said. Thanks for being awesome :)

    ReplyDelete